Looking to make some extra money online? Well, the best place to begin begin is with a blog. You’ll be in great company too, there are thousands of mum bloggers across the world !
So what is a Blog?
A blog is basically an online diary. With a blog you can upload posts about anything that you want and some people create personal blogs as a way to keep in touch with family members. Pictures, videos and other information are uploaded so your loved ones are up-to-date with what is going on with you.
But here we are going to talk about business blogs. These differ from personal blogs in that they attract readers in order to sell products or services. That means business blogs must, first and foremost, be of interest to your audience, whereas a personal blogger can write about anything that takes her fancy.
To be read by others, your blog will need to:
• Have content that’s updated regularly – at least weekly, but 3 times a week is better.
• Be promoted regularly – it’s no use having a great blog if nobody knows it exists!
If you are new to blogging, use a free blogging platform to get your feet wet. Sites like Blogger.com, WordPress.org and others offer free blogs to users. Depending on the site you choose, the themes and plug-ins (added features) will vary. Most will walk you through the process step by step using tutorial videos so that you can be up and running in no time.
Before you start posting, decide what will be the theme, or niche of your blog. A blog about your personal life or a wide variety of subjects doesn’t do as well as one that is geared towards a certain niche.
For example, if you like knitting, that could be your niche. Create posts that talk about how to knit, what to knit, how to make knitting profitable, recommended knitting websites and suppliers and so on. Once you have decided on a path, it is time to get writing.
How do you make money?
There are many ways and it’s best to experiment with a few to see which is the best fit for you and your audience. Here are five ways of ‘monetizing’ your blog:
1) Google Adsense – Google displays adverts on your blog that are related to the subject of your blog. When someone clicks on an advert, you are paid. This is easy to set up but unlikely to make you more than pocket money unless you have thousands of visitors to your blog.
2) Affiliate marketing – you recommend products to your readers and are paid commission on any products you sell.
3) Sponsorship and advertising – you sell advertising space on your blog.
4) Selling ebooks and other information products – write a book or course on your subject and sell it from your blog. There’s more information on how to sell ebooks in this post: online business basics
5) Freelancing – if your blog demonstrates your skills in your niche, why not sell those skills? You could use your blog to promote yourself as a freelance writer, for example. Or a you could use a graphic design blog to sell your design services.
There are new ways of earning money from blogging appearing all the time. Listen to what your audience want and find a creative way of giving that to them while making an income at the same time.